Home Page
Learning Together

Free School Meals




What is Pupil Premium?

Pupil Premium is additional funding given to schools to help raise the attainment of pupils. It is paid to schools according to the number of pupils who have been registered as eligible for free school meals at any point in the last 6 years or been in care for 6 months or longer. In the financial year 1st April 2014 to 31st March 2015, pupil premium funding will be:


  • £1,300 for each eligible primary aged pupil
  • £1,900 for those in care


    How is Pupil Premium used? 

The funding can be used for a range of interventions including help with costs of school visits, music fees, teaching assistant staff, after school programmes and equipment. To find out more about how this funding is used at our school please visit the ‘Key Information’ section of this website.

Who is eligible for Free School Meals and Pupil Premium?

All children who are at school and have parents who are claiming:


  • Income support; or
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance; or
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (this benefit was introduced from 27 October 2008); or
  • Child Tax Credit, but who are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and whose annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) does not exceed £16,190; or
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration & asylum Act 1999; or
  • Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Families in receipt of Working Tax Credit are not eligible for Free School Meals and Pupil Premium.
  • From 1 May 2009 those entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, are entitled to Free School Meals.
  • The Pupil Premium will only be awarded to our school if you apply for Free School Meals, however, please note your child is not required to have the Free School Meal if they prefer not to.

When do I apply?

Please apply as soon as you become eligible under the above criteria. Application forms are obtainable from the school office.